Thursday, October 29, 2009

Dreams

Dreams are good to have, but are they good to strive to attain?

There are two schools of thought on the matter, one that tells you you can do or become anything you want to, if you put your mind, effort and energy to it. Many philosophers and politicians came up with terrific quotes on the matter, like the one below (click ont he pic for the full thing):




Others, who tend to call themselves realists but are often more like negativists, or just plain bummers, will tell you to live your life setting realistic goals to achieve, such as getting through the day alive, and be satisfied with that.




But what of the greater picture?

Many people mistake 'dreams' with 'aspirations'. For those idiots, it's usually a 'lifelong dream' to appear on a TV show that has been in existence for less than five years, which, obviously, makes no sense at all.

Then there are those who are so focused on their goals that they do, in fact, dream about them at times. Those people are obsessed, and other people make pills to remedy the situation (those poeple are called scientists, pharmacists, thieves and general assholes - which doesn't make them entirely wrong, by the way).

Where do I stand?

Well, I have aspirations in my everyday life, and I have dreams when I sleep. And throughout my life, it has happened that I have dreamed about my aspirations once in a while, but never so that it would rule my life.

The problem with me is that I'm a tad too cerebral: I control my dreams - 100% of the time. I direct the action, create the dialogues, and when what I come up with doesn't make sense or is just downright stupid, I tell myself, in my dream, that it's stupid and that I had better come up with something better soon or risk having wasted my time all night.

That's not the best way to recuperate, but it's how I deal with sleep. I screenwrite and direct the whole damn thing, which, while it is my aspiration, isn't about it, which doesn't make me clinically insane, according to Dr. Myself.

However, of late, I've been going to bed forcing myself to dream about a situation I would rather never happen but nonetheless think about every day. And many times, not only does it make it seem more real, but it leads me to act towards that goal in real life - and many times Life answers back that it would, indeed, be possible for it to happen.

And every time it almost does, it creates a warm, fuzzy feeling inside me, quickly followed by shame and resentment. I guess that's how it feels to be religious, to some extent.

And that's when I know I'm fucked.

No comments: