Saturday, June 11, 2011

Video Of The Week: Hall And Oates

Yes, this is the second time Hall & Oates make it onto the Video Of The Week segment - and once again it's for cheese more than discovery. But I did learn one thing this past week: that the song Out Of Touch was, indeed, from H&O.

For some reason, maybe because of the ''oh oh ohs'' at the end of the chorus, I associated this more to Billy Ocean or just about any other pop act of the 80s. Then again, if I'd remembered that after just about every time Hall sings ''I'm out of time'', backing vocals (Oates') repeat the word ''Time!'', it might have clued me in.

Also, from now on, whenever one of my musicians wants to add a useless chord to a song, even more so in an intro, I will refer them to this particular piece's intro as a ''don't''.

The video quality isn't that great, but at 3:09, you can still witness Daryl Hall's mondo dance from the front to the back of a giant O - the only way to scream ''80's!'' any louder would be to watch Pamela Anderson's sex tapes with Bret Michaels and Tommy Lee.



As an added bonus, as for the last time I featured Hall and Oates, I have included a Live At Daryl's House performance of the song. Two, as a matter of fact.

The first one is from KT Tunstall, who takes a backseat riding the Glockenspiel and lets the band get its props:



On the second version, Patrick Stump - who must be a legend in his family and circle of friends - dishes out a semi-convincing solo at the end, in addition to taking more turns singing than Tunstall (the song starts at 3:12):



You're welcome!

No comments: