Sunday, February 3, 2013

Video Of The (Past) Week: The Mahones With Dahmnait Doyle

The Mahones are a Canadian Irish punk band that is in Montréal so much - they even record here, and their shows always feature a special guest, it was the Dropkick Murphys' Scuffy Wallace the last time - that I tend to forget they're originally from Kingston, Ontario, with band leader Finny McConnell being originally from Ireland.

Their music is inspired by The Clash and The Pogues first and foremost, a mix of the original punk ethos and traditional Irish songs; most of their songs are about Ireland, missing it or living in it - and/or drinking. But mostly, as I would say if I were their biographer, ''about love''. Fade to black, cue music.

I chose this video in particular because it features Dahmnait Doyle, one of my favourite guilty pleasures. From Labrador City of all places, she rose to prominence in the mid-1990s. I'm not ashamed to say I first purchased her album and EP because of her looks, as I was soon smitten by her talent as well. If Samantha Fox was my 1980s crush, Dahmnait Doyle was my 1990s one. With Demi Moore somewhere in between.

But I digress. This is a love song, pure and simple. It's not hidden between layers of rock and booze, it just is what it is, and the video references Federico Fellini's classic, .


No comments: