Sunday, February 14, 2016

Video Of The Week: Blink-182

Blame it on whatever you want, karma, trial-and-error, songwriting skills... but in February 2004, Blink-182 hit songwriting gold with a simply amazing song called I Miss You.

My personal opinion of Blink-182 as a band is that of sophomoric bubblegum-punk for tweens. Whether they were hiding songwriting genius behind a huge barrage of power chords, purposely awful vocal tones and inclinations and a propensity for getting naked in their videos, I can't tell and don't care about finding out any further; all I know is that this song is majestic.

I listen to it often, I've sung it myself, and it has a decorum that I didn't think Tom DeLonge and Mark Hoppus were capable of; I knew Travis Barker could drum because A. I'm not deaf, and B. I do listen to Transplants, but for the other two members of the band to come up with this miracle of the four-chord variety transcends musical taste.

The video, by acclaimed director Jonas Akerlund (the 2002 film Spun, many Roxette videos, Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up, Madonna's Ray Of Light, Music, American Life and Celebration, Metallica's Turn The Page and Whiskey In The Jar, Smashing Pumpkins' Try, Try, Try, Moby's Porcelain, U2's Beautiful Day (the airport and the eze versions) and Walk On, Ozzy Osbourne's Gets Me Through and Let Me Hear You Scream, Paul McCartney's Lonely Road, Christina Aguilera's Beautiful, The Rolling Stones' Rain Fall Down and Doom And Gloom, and Rammstein's Pussy, Ich Tu Dir Weh and Mein Land), emphasizes the brooding darkness of the song, a true 2000s masterpiece on both ends of the audio-visual spectrum:


No comments: