Saturday, March 26, 2016

Video Of The Week: Shane MacGowan & The Popes

Say what you want about Shane MacGowan, his character, his lack of professionalism, his alcoholism, or the way he leads his life - but there's no denying his songwriting chops.

Even his so-called "sub-par" work, like this video for Lonesome Highway, is a fine Celtic-inspired ballad tha would have been at home on any rocker's album between 1987 and 1997; it's actually from the 1997 record The Crock Of Gold, by Shane MacGowan & The Popes, the band he started when he was kicked out of The Pogues. Because of his character, his lack of professionalism, his alcoholism, and the way he leads his life.



I'm currently looking back at my own songwriting output, as I'm preparing to release poetry books (including my lyrics) in both French and English, each accompanied by a compilation album. This is a song I would have liked to have written myself.

No comments: