Friday, January 14, 2011

Video Of The Week: Culture Club

The 1980s were simpler times if, like me, you were a child. But, really, wars were raging everywhere, the Cold War was in effect, Republicans were in power, and tolerance was prevailing less than it is today.

I have no idea how those times became a breeding ground for pastel colours and rampant use of cocaine, but Miami Vice and the Miami Sound Machine sure gave a weird impression of bizarre vibes.

Looking back at all the crap that we were subjected to - I'm looking at you, Duran Duran - it's a wonder I came out of it even remotely sane, especially when you consider that for most of the years prior to Samantha Fox rocking my world, my favourite female singer was none other than Boy George, whose band Culture Club is this week's focal point, via their monstrous hit Karma Chameleon. Notice how, at 1:45, the harmonica player doesn't actually seem to be playing the notes we're hearing. Ah, the wonders of pre-1990s videos!


No comments: