Friday, May 18, 2012

Video Of The Week: Bananarama

I had a whole different thing planned this week, but since my provincial government went anti-democratic, totalitarian and against our charter of rights last night, I went with Cruel Summer instead.

I know - you'd think I'd choose a more political act than Bananarama, but sometimes, extreme situations call for extreme measures... and these 3 girls just might be it.

To this day, they are still the most-charter all-female musical act (take that, Spice Girls!), but would you believe thy started out with a foot planted firmly in punk rock? Indeed, they started out doing backing vocals for acts such as Iggy Pop, The Jam, The Monochrome Set and The Nipple Erectors and, before their debut launched, were even approached by Sex Pistols impresario Malcolm McLaren, who wanted to be their manager! That's what I call street cred!

They still exist today, as a duo, and I might check it out soon enough.

No comments: