Monday, February 3, 2014

R.I.P. Philip Seymour Hoffman

Heeeeerrrooooooiiiinnnnnn
Be the death of me
Heeeeerrrooooooiiiinnnnnn
It's my life (...)
- Lou Reed, The Velvet Underground's Heroin

Academy Award winner Philip Seymour Hofman - a perennial favourite of mine as can be attested in my ''best-of'' lists - died today of an apparent heroin overdose at age 46 in his Manhattan apartment.

The hype machine will likely go nuts - and if it does, it will be more deserved than when it hit Heath Ledger, for sure - but while I don't think he qualifies for the moniker of ''greatest actor of his generation'', he surely ranks among the most consistent, and constantly original ones.

Like William H. Macy, he was as good as the seventh-role in a blockbuster as he was starring in an indie character-driven picture, and my favourite performance of his remains the scene-stealing sexually deranged obscene phone caller in Happiness:


He could be at turns nerdy, shy, subdued, over-the-top, depressed, strong, conniving, lost... always on point.

He will be missed.

No comments: