Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Video Of The Week: Bart Simpson (The Simpsons)

As I was making my way into my first year of high school, at the end of 1990, I was out of touch with the pop charts: I could tolerate Bel Biv Devoe but had no love for Technotronic, Michael Bolton, Snap, Janet Jackson, MC Hammer nor Milli Vanilli, though I did own Hammer's and MV's cassettes (birthday presents from adults).

One instance where I was totally in synch with the charts, though, was when The Simpsons released their first soundtrack - Sing The Blues - which I purchased from the mail-in service ripoff company Columbia House. The lead single, Do The Bartman, featured here, may not have been the best song on it (Deep Deep Trouble was), but the mere fact that it was co-written by Michael Jackson (and may include background vocals from him) makes for a fun anecdote.

)

''Whoa, mama!''

I like that the choreography is also a bit Jackson-like. Oh, and the self-congratulatory ''I'm bad like Michael Jackson, I'm bad, I'm bad!'' - priceless!

Oh, and it was directed by Brad Bird (The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, Ratatouille). That's a lot of big names for such a short moment in time.

It's funny to think that at first, the series (and all promotional material) was centered around Bart's antics, but they evolved into being more about Homer, a more rounded character. 25 years in, the series is still alive and well, though perhaps without the highs of South Park and Family Guy, but definitely with more consistency.

No comments: