Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Video Of The Week: Murs

I mentioned this song in my Top 10 Relatively Angry Break-Up Songs last week, and I've had it play non-stop in my head ever since, even when listening to something completely different.

Murs started out with a collective named 3 Melancholy Gypsies, which eventually merged with Mystik Journeymen to form Living Legends, which is how I got introduced to his talent. Living Legends were a hard-touring act who multiplied shows at the turn of the millennium, and I got to see them in maybe 10 different cities in all.

No, their live shows didn't live up to their name, feeling at times over-rehearsed and contrived, but Murs was a constant stand-out. At their merch table, he was the only one I'd purchase stuff from, even his mixtapes.

After years of releasing CDs through independent means (5 actual albums and dozens of mixtapes), Murs let Warner Bros. release his 2008 effort, Murs For President, but the collaboration wouldn't last. In fairness, it wasn't his finest work, and perhaps he got to believing his own hype a little too much.

He returned to his roots in 2011 with the strong, independently-released Love & Rockets, Volume 1: The Transformation, from which this song is pulled, in a simple-yet-effective video directed by Shruti Parekh and starring Murs and dripping paint (ironic how this is also a song about somebody that he used to know).



If you feel the title of the song is super original, though, keep in mind Elvis Presley sang I Forgot To Remember To Forget in... 1955.

No comments: