Monday, February 7, 2011

Video Of The Week: Haysi Fantayzee

Don't worry - before my friend Triangles Stuart turned me on to Haysi Fantayzee twelve hours ago, I had no clue who they were either. But I love me some New Wave, and this crop of merry Bristers was just what I needed to get me through over-consuming food and sports for a weekend.

The band is comprised of do-it-all musician Paul Caplin, with his wife Kate Garner and dreadlocked Boy George-lookalike Jeremy Healy on vocals. While they didn't quite hit it so big in North America, their sole album Battle Hymns For Children Singing did spawn four minor hits in England, one of which (''John Wayne Is Big Leggy'') I'm on the fence about at the moment.

This number, however, called ''Shiny, Shiny'', I know I like a lot. It's a take on the end of the world and the upcoming apocalypse, but done in an upbeat, ironic manner. And Garner looks stunning in both videos.

Oops - I spoiled the surprise. Because I didn't know which was the official video, since even their ''live'' TV appearances had plenty of choreography and montage, I selected the two versions that seem more likely to be videos and got embedded them here. You're welcome.

First, a version in front of a house that could be Pee-Wee's Playhouse's evil twin:





Also, a version on mostly black background intertwined with newspaper clippings, with Garner sporting what looks like (really hot) 80s exercise clothing, and Healy mimicking the guitar solo in the middle of the song:


No comments: